• Editorial and commercial photography, and create short films using high-quality hdslr for a variety of organizations.
• Recipient 2013 Rita K. Hillman Foundation Fellowship to complete a body of work on rural health care in America.
I am an American photographer and filmmaker who grew up in a rural community in the San Francisco Bay Area and have spent the past 15 years living in rapidly changing mega-cities like New York, Mexico City and Shanghai. I studied photography at the International Center of Photography in New York City and am a frequent contributor to The New York Times. Recent personal work explores healing practices and how participation in healing traditions can contribute to individual and collective identity. Projects include combat veterans in Russia, violent crime victims in Mexico City, and inside New York City's largest homeless shelter Bellevue.
Honors from organizations including the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Oscars), Photo District News (PDN), New York Photo Festival (NYPH), American Photography (AP28), International Photography Awards (IPA), AFI Silverdocs, and International Documentary Association (IDA.)
Recent publications: The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, MotherJones, New York Magazine, Discover Magazine, The Atlantic, The Seattle Times, CNN, Discover Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar (China), Marie Claire (China), City Pictorial (China), Elle Men (China), China Daily, Bloomberg.com, GOOD.is, among others…
• 2013 American Photography | Latin American Fotografía 2 • 2013 FotoVisura Grant | Honorable Mention • 2013 Rita K. Hillman Foundation Fellowship Grant
• 2012 Honorable Mention | Deeper Perspective, IPA International Photography Awards
• 2012 Honorable Mention | People, IPA International Photography Awards
• 2012 Nominee | World Press Photo Joop Swart Masterclass
• 2012 American Photography 28
• 2011 Eddie Adams Workshop | Barnstorm XXIV
• 2011 Honorable Mention | Editorial Series, IPA International Photography Awards
• 2011 Winner | Editorial Single, New York Photo Festival • 2010 Winner | Multimedia, PDN Pix Digital Imaging • 2010 The New York Times Company Foundation Scholarship @ ICP
• Oscar Shortlist | Academy Award in Documentary Shorts Category (Oscars)
• Best Documentary Short | Los Angeles Film Festival • Special Jury Prize | AFI-Silverdocs Film Festival
• Nominee | IDA Documentary Achievement Award
• Filmmakers Magazine | 25 NEW FACES OF INDIE FILM
• Academy of Motion Pictures "Outstanding Documentary of 2003" • Official Selection | Sundance Film Festival
• Official Selection | Florida Film Festival
• Official Selection | Bilbao Film Festival
• Official Selection | Palm Springs Film Festival
• Official Selection | Morelia Film Festival
International Center of Photography Documentary | Photography and Photojournalism '10
Click on any of the thumbnail images to launch the viewer. You can then navigate forward and backward within the portfolio by clicking the left or right side of the enlarged image. Click the add to collection checkbox to automatically add an image to your collection. Image tags or search engine keywords appear below the collections' checkbox and each word or phrase is a link to potentially more image matches.